Monday, January 3, 2011

Monday Motivation

On New Year's Eve I was over our friends house and saw a shelving unit in her children's playroom that made me go ooooooohhhhhh! I was immediately inspired to organize my room of shame. The shelving system was from Ikea and although it was designed to be storage for children it is perfect for my craft room.  Then the next day I got this article in my email  Better Homes and Gardens - tips for organization room by room.  While the rooms didn't include an office, craft, or hobby room alot of the tips are applicable. 


TROFAST storage (credit http://www.ikea.com/)
 So now thoroughly motivated, I dragged poor Ben (husband of 5 years) out and then spent hours and hours in Ikea. I will say that I had some extra cash so I was able to get 5 of the shelving units which gave me 5 shelves and 27 bins worth of storage for a cool $313.  Now if you have to purchase organization that is not to bad as far as cost goes.  By the by.... the other storage I had in the room which didn't hold all my things that well and I had slowly purchased on what I thought what was the cheap over the years actually had cost me  $518.21!!!  Not to name names, but this system was from a large chain with a distinct red circular logo.  (Lest you think me wasteful it is bring re-purposed in other room closets for storage.  Now that I added it up and know how much in total it cost it's getting used until it falls apart.)


Drawer Storage - jeanettes.typepad.com
 If you do not have the extra money lying around, however, and you already have plastic storage units I would recommend using the bins you already have to save money. Another out of the box, cost-saving storage unit is using bookshelves purchased from yard sales, flea markets, Craig's list, or even better free on http://www.freecycle.org/ and utilizing extra boxes and baskets as the organization bins.  (The dollar store does have small plastic craft organizers and baskets.) 

Does anyone else have any out of the box storage ideas? (Comments and ideas welcome!)

2 comments:

  1. I can always think of jillions of functional & cheap storage ideas, but PRETTY storage is another story. I try to collect any heavy-duty boxes and jars that products come in to re-purpose as storage containers for my crafty odds & ends, but they tend to be on the ugly side.

    I found a couple of nice square metal tins with lids (about the size of shoe boxes) at a yard sale for less than a dollar each, and though it's reeeeally slow going, I maintain that yard/garage/estate sales are the best way to find nice-looking & well made containers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you... I like to put the uglier stuff in the dollar store baskets. The baskets always look better as the visual on the shelf and they keep together the various jars. As for boxes that won't fit into the baskets...have you thought about breaking into your wrapping paper supply to just cover them in something prettier? (scrap fabric would work too)
    You can make anything pretty with a hot glue gun.

    ReplyDelete